Sunday, May 30, 2010

I cannot believe it's only been four days here. Wahhhhh crazy. And I don't think it's sunk in that this is more than just a week at camp-this is life for a whole summer.

So I left off on Thursday...let's see. Thursday night we met our Impact groups, which is our Bible study combined with one of the Bible studies of the opposite gender. Shanti is my leader, and Erick Lettner (who is the staff member at Marquette, for those who don't know) is the guys leader in our Impact group. We all went out sharing and had a good time! Tim, James, Katie and I had a conversation with a guy who was a believer. He actually approached us, telling us he could spot us out "like drug addicts can spot out other drug addicts." I can dig it, haha. He asked us to pray for him and he would pray for us too, so once he left we followed through on our word. He isn't attending church right now, or really walking with God so we are continuing to pray that he'll be brought back into awesome fellowship with Christ!

The rest of Thursday night was spent chilling on the beach and really just meeting more people. We night-swam in the super warm water and it was great.

Friday marked the start of the job search, and for many of us, Friday also marked the end of the job search as well. Alissa and I got hired at Myrtle Waves, a family amusement park in the actual Myrtle Beach, which is about a half hour drive. We'll cross-train to learn to operate rides, serve food, and other stuff like that. It's going to be much different than any other job I've worked, so it will be challenging and fun. Right now we're unsure of when we'll start-I'm waiting to have my birth certificate arrive in the mail. Been kind of a hassle, but I have faith it'll come around eventually.

Friday evening, we had dinner as a Bible study and then had an AMAZING women's time. We got to know more of the women on project, listened to Londa's awesome message, and then had a time of sharing and prayer. Sharing time was so powerful. It marked the beginning of a newfound freedom in Christ for so many of us, and brought us together as a solid-knit family of amazing, beautiful, and Jesus-seeking women. I am so excited to see how we grow together.

Yesterday featured more time at the Shak listening to great messages from the staff, learning about our identity in Christ and learning how to share our unique stories about Christ's impact in our lives. After some solid quiet time, I headed out to the beach with a bunch of girls and we all just laid out and got to know each other more. I also hit the waves with a boogie board, which was a good time. Loving the warm water, let me tell you. So much different than the chilly Pacific waters, but I am still partial to the Oregon coast ;).

Last night we had a sort of "Iron Chef" competition between the Impact groups. We made some delicious chicken fajitas, spanish rice, and apple tart. Oh and homemade guac...always my favorite. Trying to jam all of us into one tiny apartment to chop all the ingredients and simultaneously cook everything was absolute madness, but I think we all got to know each other better through the process, haha. I managed to lose my keys in all the chaos, which is a real bummer, but I got a new one today. I just pray that the original didn't get into hands that will use it for evil :( please be praying with me! I've never lost my keys before, so it just shows how crazy it's been!

And today we went to Ocean Drive Presbyterian Church for Sunday service. It was much different from my previous church experiences, haha, but it's good to be stretched in that way. I've got to write a letter, work on Bible study material, and meet with Shanti for discipleship today.

Overall, I am loving it here. Once again, I know that God has huge things for me, and I can't wait to experience them. Every now and then I feel overwhelmed and a little freaked out, and I gotta say, I am so thankful for the peace that surpasses all understanding, because without it, I think I would have fallen apart by now. I have to face it- as much as I love change and love putting myself in foreign situations, it still takes me a while to adjust. I'm in the process of doing so now!

1 comment:

  1. I am finally getting time to read your blog. So thankful you found a job. Praying God will use you in unexpected ways this summer...an amusement park should give you some awesome opportunities. Lord, cover Brooke today and use her for Your glory.
    Love you, Grandma C.

    ReplyDelete